This past month, the Bentley District Fire Department has been kept busy attending several incidents:
- About 8 am on January 23, nine members were sent to the scene of an accident on Highway #20 just north of Aspelund Road. Two individuals had to be extricated from their vehicle which proved to be difficult due to the large amount of snow in the ditch and the precarious position the vehicle was in. Once extricated, they were sent to hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries. Unfortunately another individual was pronounced dead at the scene. The highway was closed for quite some time as the RCMP conducted their investigation.
- On the morning of January 29, due to the significant amount of vehicle accidents that day, members were called by Lacombe Fire Department to help assist with an accident at Highway #12 and #2A in Lacombe. The BFD was stood down while en route as Lacombe was able to free themselves from previous incidents to attend this scene themselves.
- Close to noon on January 31, firefighters were again called to assist Lacombe Fire Department with another wave of vehicle accidents, this time at Highway #12 and #2. Once again members were stood down as the situation was managed by Lacombe.
- At 6:13 pm on February 4, eleven members were alerted to a call of alarms ringing at a business in town. The alarm upstairs was activated by what turned out to be food burning in the microwave. Unexpectedly the occupant had locked themselves out of the apartment in the business below. Firefighters pried open the door to gain entrance and fortunately the fire in the microwave had extinguished itself.
- On February 15 at 6:30 pm a call came in of alarms ringing at a Bentley residence. Nine firefighters responded and investigated what turned out to be a false alarm.
All of us at the Bentley District Fire Department are very excited and proud to be in our beautiful new facility! We look forward to showing it off with an “Open House” which will happen when everything is completed.
Submitted by Kathi Issler
Bentley District Fire Department