This past month your fire department has attended six emergencies:
- In the early evening on Christmas Day members responded to a call for mutual aid from Eckville Fire Department. A rural residence was on fire and a short while later Bentley was stood down as Eckville had the situation under control.
- On December 26 at 3:58 am eight firefighters were sent to a single-vehicle accident on Highway #12, just west of RR 1-1. A van had left the road and gotten stuck in the south ditch. The driver had self-extricated and was examined by EMS while RCMP conducted their investigation.
- Around suppertime on December 28 members were summoned to a home in Gull Lake Village where alarms were ringing. The tenant had an problem with the wood stove damper and the issue was soon resolved.
- At 2:53 pm on December 29 crews were sent to a structure fire at a rural residence. Eckville Fire Department was called on for mutual aid as a precaution, then stood down once the incident became manageable. The house had filled with smoke due to another wood stove incident, so the homeowner evacuated and called 911. Once the smoke cleared firefighters thoroughly inspected it using the thermal imaging camera and gas meter and the resident was able to move back in.
- On January 10 at 6:56 am a call was received of alarms ringing at a rural business. Crews stood down once the alarm company called to report it a false alarm.
- And on January 12 at 10:22 pm seven members were sent to Lake Trail Estates where yet another alarm was ringing. A neighbour had heard the commotion and called 911. An unoccupied mobile home was involved and the owner was unreachable, so firefighters gained entry and checked the unit for elevated levels of carbon monoxide and signs of heat and smoke. None were found, so the home was re-secured and management informed before crews left the scene.
Bentley District Fire Department has had a remarkably busy year!
In 2015 we responded to 90 emergencies. These included:
21- Alarms Ringing
2- Structure Fire
15- Mutual Aid
27- Motor Vehicle Accident (MVA)
10- Outside Fire
2- Gas Leak Investigation
1- Boat Fire