Bentley District Fire Department

Volunteer | Dedication | Perserverance

The Bentley District Fire Department is comprised of 17 committed volunteers, dedicated to serving our community. Since its establishment, the Bentley Fire Department has continued to preserve the safety and security of community members within its 1000 sq km area district. From fighting fires, to medical emergency responses, and motor vehicle accidents, our volunteers are highly trained and experienced to react and aid in many emergency situations. Training every Monday night as well as some weekends and responding to over 70 emergency calls per year, the Bentley District Fire Department's volunteers devote their lives to helping others.

Bentley's fire department has had another quiet month with only three emergencies to report:

  • At 2:57 p.m. on December 5 sixteen members were sent to a rural property northwest of Bentley, to a reported structure fire. Eckville Fire Department was called for Mutual Aid. The homeowner had left in the morning and arrived home in the afternoon to the sound of the smoke alarm and the smell of smoke in the air. When the door was opened smoke billowed out so 911 was called. Fortunately, no one was home at the time. Firefighters conducted an investigation of the interior and it was discovered that the fire had extinguished itself, likely due to lack of oxygen to fuel itself in the reasonably weather- tight house. The TIC was used to ensure that temperatures were coming down and the ceiling was opened to make certain the fire had not spread to the attic. The home was heavily damaged but the family was able to eventually go in to salvage what items they could.

  • Early in the morning on December 6 crews were called out to a two-vehicle accident at the intersection of Aspelund Road and Rainy Creek Road. A southbound vehicle and one heading west had collided, sending each into separate ditches. All occupants were out and being tended to by EMS, who had arrived shortly before the BFD. None of the patients required transport to the hospital so firefighters did some minor hazmat and cleaned up the roadways before being released by the RCMP.

  • And on December 14 a call was received of a gas leak in Bentley. One business owner noticed a strong natural gas smell issuing from the business next door and another person was reportedly feeling sick because of it. The building was ventilated and investigated. The cause was the gas stove, whose pilot light had extinguished itself and proceeded to leak gas, thus the tell-tale odor. The owner shut off the valve to the stove and the gas company was notified. Firefighters remained until levels were safely lowered, then the scene was left in the owner's care, to await the gas company's arrival.

  • Even though call volume has been down a bit, we have been very busy! An Ice Rescue course was hosted by Bentley on December 14 and 15 with seventeen firefighters from across Lacombe County attending. The practical part was conducted at the Lacombe County office's pond in uncharacteristically beautiful weather.

  • We enjoyed having the Grade 4's from Bentley Elementary School come visit us for a tour on December 18. We love to have a good excuse to show what we do and explain the uses of all the tools and trucks. We hope you all had a good time and learned something new!    

    Your Fire Department is growing! We'd like to introduce to you all our two newest members;

                             Kenton Woyke and Christopher McLaren. 

    Thank you, gentlemen, for stepping up and committing to serve your community, we are really

    looking forward to working with you both!

© 2018 Bentley District Fire Department | All Rights Reserved