This past month your fire department has been called out to six emergencies:
- Shortly after midnight on January 31 the BFD was sent as Mutual Aid to Lacombe FD for a structure fire on RR 27-5, north of Highway #12. A large shop was ablaze with vehicles and machinery inside. Important documents were retrieved before fire engulfed the attached office space. Firefighters and apparatus from Lacombe, Bentley and Blackfalds were kept busy for several hours shuttling water to the rural location and ensuring the huge fire did not spread to the surrounding buildings. Fortunately no one was injured although the shop was completely destroyed.
- At 10:40 am on February 2 eight members were sent to a Bentley residence to assist EMS in packaging and loading a patient for a trip to the hospital.
- At 1:27 p.m. that same day crews responded to a call of alarms ringing at a rural residence on Highway #771. This turned out to be the homeowner testing the keypad alarm and the BFD was stood down.
- On February 8 at 8:45 pm a call was received from a passerby who reported a strong gas odour in the area of Woody Nook Road and Aspelund Road. No smell was detected in the described area but Aspelund Road was closed for a brief time to conduct an investigation. No elevated levels of any dangerous gases were found and any gas smell in the area had dissipated so each fire apparatus spread out taking a different route back to the hall to ensure no other areas were affected.
- Around suppertime on February 11 fifteen members rushed to Woody Nook Road and TWP 40-0 to assist Lacombe Fire Department with an outside fire which was reportedly threatening other structures. Upon arrival it was discovered a huge fuel tank of some kind was ablaze with flames up to 200 feet high. Fire trucks were staged over a kilometre away and the specialists at FireMaster were called in to handle this particular issue. Fortunately no one was injured and no other buildings were affected.
- And on February 16 at 9:08 pm an alarms call was received from Birch Bay where a home alarm system was sounding. The tenants wisely evacuated and firefighters conducted an investigation of the home using the gas monitor and thermal imaging camera. No smoke, heat or elevated levels of carbon monoxide were found in the home, attached garage or separate suite so the family was able to re-enter their warm house and the event was declared a non-emergency.