Your fire department has been called out to seven incidents in the past month:
- At 9:01 pm on March 1st members responded to a call of alarms ringing on RR 28-1 near Woody Nook Church. The tenant in the home explained that the CO detector was activating. The gas meter was used to check for elevated levels of carbon monoxide. None was found so further investigation revealed the battery back-up in the wired-in detector was dead. A new CO detector was left with the resident.
- On March 5 at 9:12 am a call came in of a 2-vehicle accident at highways #12 and #20. A northbound semi with loaded trailer and an eastbound car had collided in the intersection. Both drivers were out of their respective vehicles, traffic control was quickly established in all four directions. Both patients were cared for until arrival of EMS. One patient was taken to hospital. RCMP meanwhile investigated the scene and once they were finished the highways were cleaned up and one vehicle was towed.
- Midafternoon on March 5 six members were sent to a Bentley residence where alarms were ringing. Firefighters were stood down once it was established that a nice hot steamy shower had triggered the touchy alarm.
- An hour later, at 4:02 pm a call was received of a snowmobile accident on Gull Lake near the Wooden Shoe. Lacombe Fire Department was called in as Mutual Aid to assist Bentley with a middle aged patient who had gotten ejected from the machine onto hard packed snow. Firefighters moved the patient, who was suffering from shoulder, arm and leg injuries, from the frozen lake to the ambulance waiting on the shore.
- At 5:26 pm on March 16 members were sent to an outside fire on Highway #20 and Centreview Road. Smoke had been reported by a passerby so crews investigated and found a single large bale being burned. A burn permit was in place and it was being monitored so firefighters left the scene in charge of the landowner.
- Shortly before 2 pm on March 18 a Citizen Assist call came in. With the recent warm temperatures a Bentley residence basement was flooding. A trench was carved out of the ice to divert the flow and water was pumped away from the low area alongside the house.
- And on March 19 at 12:21 pm eleven members were dispatched to a rural residence north of town with reports of an explosion on the property. Mutual Aid was promptly requested from Lacombe, but they were stood down once the situation was understood and managed. A single detached garage was missing its overhead door which had been blown free from the blast. It appeared natural gas had built up inside the structure. Fortunately no one had been in it at the time. A fire in the garage had resulted, but the homeowner had managed to put it out using an extinguisher. The gas smell was strong in and around the structure and the gas sniffer was used to help determine the levels. GLDC was notified and a rep quickly arrived at the scene. The new home was thoroughly checked as well before leaving the scene in the hands of GLDC personnel.